Tuesday, May 26, 2009

If you're going to let one prick ruin your life...



I watched the highly un-realistic, yet entertaining "Legally Blonde" last night. My favorite part is when Holland Taylor playing one of Elle's intimidating professors became a sort of mentor for her, though for a brief moment. As a woman who survived in Law long enough to become a professor, she probably knew a thing or two about pricks.

There are many things that can make one want to quit, drop out or give up. For me, this moment came Sophomore year after sitting through an Advanced Econometrics course I barely understood and Economics Principles I struggled to keep in my head long enough for midterms. I didn't switch majors mainly because I didn't know what to switch to. It wasn't until the end of Junior year that I understood how PAM fit with my career goals and help me shape my worldview.

One of the things I wished I had done earlier is to get to know PAM upperclassmen and professors. People who are ahead of you are always useful for advice on what classes to take, internship opportunities and what possibilities exist post-college. Knowing what opportunities exist is helpful for students, especially those who are the first in their family to go to college.

As I look forward to what will come after Cornell, that's something I would like to work on: finding more mentors to help me when things get tough, or I get tempted to quit.

No comments: